Pages

Friday, August 03, 2007

Cut Butter Cost In Half: with your own spreadable butter



Our family has some heavy butter users in it, and with the cost of butter going up that can really cost you. A few years ago my Mom started making our own spreadable butter. By mixing half softened butter and half canola oil (other oils work too) with our hand blender, we got a firm yet spreadable butter when chilled. It is just as delicious as regular butter, but nearly half the cost. You can also blend it in a food processor, use a hand mixer, or regular blender. I typically blend 2 lbs of butter with 4 cups oil at once to save time and clean up. You may just want to do one stick with 1/2 c. oil the first time to see if you like it. You can use this blend in some baking when either oil or butter can be used. My favorite cookie recipe uses it.

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

Sift together:
2 1/2 c. flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt

In separate bowl cream together:
1 c. spreadable butter (1/2 oil, 1/2 butter)
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar

Add and blend well:
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla

Gradually stir in dry mixture.
Fold in:
1-12oz bag chocolate chips
1 c. chopped nuts

Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 375F for 8-10 minutes. Makes 5 dozen. Beware: doesn't last long!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

A Heart of Praise said...

These look delicious! I love chocolate chip cookies. :)

We usually mix half butter and half oil in recipes to save on cost. I will have to try making the spreadable butter. I remember having it at your house and it tasted just as good as plain butter. :) You told me how you made it, but I never did try it at home.

Anonymous said...

Those cookies look absolutely delicious! I tried a Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe a couple weeks ago but it didn't taste the greatest, maybe I'll try making these today.