Pages

Saturday, December 01, 2007

Marriage: Goal or Insentive?

As a young woman with the God given desire to marry I find that desire to be a good motivator to do certain things: like learn to be a good homemaker, learn to be submissive, and other good things. But if that desire ceases to be a side benefit and becomes a goal, I have made it an idol.

When anything in our lives, whether it is marriage or a position, becomes the reason we live we have replaced God with an idol. My desire to a godly woman should, first, be because I love my Savior and loving my Savior means keeping His commands. The fact that being a godly woman will also mean being a good helpmeet is a side benefit to my ultimate goal and desire.

Making marriage our life goal will not only make us idolaters, but also will make good little hypocrites. The godly man I desire to be my husband only sees the outward and judges by that, but God sees the heart. If I am trying to attract a husband I need only put on an outward show; if I am seeking God's approval I must have a heart righteousness that can only be through His Son.

But seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness; and all these things [the things God knows we need, not what we want] shall be added unto thee. Matthew 6:33

I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Phillipians 3:14
May the Lord and His glory be our only goal in life and let our desire to marry be only if it is to His glory.

1 comment:

Bethanie said...

Thats profound...I've never thought of it like that before. Thank you!