Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Heart of Feminism


I have noticed on other blogs that the mention of feminism in the negative usually brings up many questions and objections by some of our sisters in the Lord. I would like to address some of the objection by addressing what I believe to be the heart of feminism.

A good definition of the heart of feminism is: the breaking down of Biblical roles and order in the church, family, and civil government. Now there are many motives for doing this, some rooted in goodwill perhaps, others in sin and control. But whatever your motive is in being a feminist if it does the above, as I have defined, it is unChrist-like and antibiblical.

“If ye love me, keep my commandments.” Christ, as being one with the Father, has given us His word through the Holy Scriptures, and it is “profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the [woman] of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” (II Timothy 3:16,17, italics added). Therefore as we, who are bought with the precious blood of Christ, seek by His Spirit to bring into"captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ” (II Corinthians 10:5) we must use the Bible as our rule of life, guiding us in all we do and say– including how we run the home, the church , and our civil government.

Now it is clear in scriptures that a Biblical marriage means that the man is to be the loving head even as Christ is the head of the church, and the woman is to submit and obey him in love even as the Church is to Christ (Ephesians 5:22-33, I Timothy 2:11-13, Titus 2:4-5, and others). Feminism says that men and woman are the same in their roles and the woman can be the head with the man, that the man can follow his wife and help her in her goals and purposes. But this denies the Scriptures and mars the beautiful picture that marriage is suppose to portray of Christ and His Church. What folly it would be to think of Christ submitting to the Church or following her goals and visions. Or to think of Christ and the Church each seeking their own goals and only meeting for communion together. Yet this is the way so many marriages, even Christian marriages, are run. I am not saying that the Bible says that the man is perfect or even less evil than the woman and that is why he portrays Christ, Adam and Eve both fell in Eden by their individual sin, but the Bible calls us as imperfect human beings to picture the perfect picture of Christ and the Church. And it is only by leaning on His Spirit and keeping His commandments that we can attempt to do that.

I urge you to search the Scriptures to find the proper way to run a home; don’t listen to what our culture is saying or what the flesh desires. Make the Bible your only rule of life.

I hope to later put to rest the objections of what good feminism has brought. If you have any objections to the way I have interpreted these scriptures I would like to hear your interpretation, according to scripture, concerning the roles of men and woman.

5 comments:

Miss Rebekah Ann S. said...

First, let me start off by saying that I love that picture!! :)

What an outstanding post, Lydia! You made some great points, and I really couldn't agree more! Keep up the great work!

Oh, and thank you so much for adding my blog to your links page. And thank you so so much for supporting Reformed Family Books, both by placing an order and by adding their link to your blog. That is so appreciated!!

Oh, I have some questions regarding the Vision Forum Affiliate Program. I would love to learn more about it, so would you please send me an e-mail about it, sort of describing it,etc? Thanks so much!

Many blessings,
Rebekah

Miss Rebekah Ann S. said...

Just wanted to let you know that I've now added your blog to my blog's link list! :)

Miss Rebekah Ann S. said...

I just wanted to let you know that I read the prayer on the right side of your blog, as well as the first half or so(I don't have all the time now to read it all), and I loved them! What great links!

Under Southern Skies said...

You are such a good writer, Lydia! That was an excellent article, I really enjoyed reading it. Keep up the great work!

A Heart of Praise said...

Very good thoughts Lydia! Thanks for posting. :)